Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Pro Archia Poeta (In Defense of Aulus Licinius Archias the poet)



My dad drew my attention to this speech and in particular an excerpt that, as an avid reader, I relate to. The opinion of Cicero in 62 B.C., I'm sure, still strikes a chord with many. I just love this quote!

"And yet let us leave aside for a moment any practical advantage that literary studies may bring. For even if their aim were pure enjoyment and nothing else, you would still, I am sure, feel obliged to agree that no other activity of the mind could possibly have such a broadening and enlightening effect. For there is no other occupation upon earth which is so appropriate to every time and every age and every place. Reading stimulates the young and diverts the old, increases one's satisfaction when things are going well, and when they are going badly provides refuge and solace. It is a delight in the home; it can be fitted in with public life; throughout the night, on journeys, in the country, it is a companion which never lets me down."


On to the next book!
Stay tuned for my reviews of Even Silence Has An End by Ingrid Betancourt and Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment