Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Firefly Lane


Firefly Lane
Author: Kristin Hannah
Source: Recommended by my friend Lauren, bought it while I was in Pennsylvania with Lauren and Ali to see Zac Brown Band!
Days to Read: 7

When I started reading this book I thought it would be a typical, easy read about two friends who grow up to lead very different lives then one betrays the other and the friendship is put to the test. However, I was pleased to discover that what I thought was going to happen, didn’t. Throughout the book I had this nagging feeling that Tully (the vivacious and sociable girl) would betray her best friend Kate (the responsible and conventional girl) by seducing and sleeping with her husband. I really liked both of the characters and with each hint dropped and every paged turned I kept expecting to be disappointed in both Tully and Johnny, Kate’s husband. I will say that I was never disappointed in these characters… to the degree that a scandal such as an affair would have caused.  

The story is entertaining and although the characters seem relatively simple, their bond to one another is endearing. It made me think of all the best friends that I have had over the years and the qualities that I cherish in my friends now. Tully and Kate grow up together. Tully is abandoned by her mother and lives with her grandmother on Firefly Lane. She meets plain old Kate and they become inseparable. Tully is drawn to Kate's tight knit family and the stability it offers. Kate envies Tully's ability to make friends with everyone around her and go after what she wants. Through the ups and downs of growing up, the two girls remain close, living and working together.  When Kate is diagnosed with breast cancer, the true bond of their friendship is tested.

Be warned that this book may cause you to tear up but I would definitely recommend it. A great book for a summer read at the cottage!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment