Thursday, September 08, 2011

Room




Room
Author: Emma Donoghue
Source: Another book picked up at Chapters while on a book buying spree!
Days to Read: 6

My first thought when I started this book was "this is awkward and I am not going to be able to get into it". It starts with a 5 year old boy describing his day to day activities with his mom in Room. Notice the awkwardness of the previous sentence? Jack, the little boy, refers to everything by it’s names but in the context of a pronoun. So the rug is Rug, as in I played on Rug this morning. The book is about a mother that was kidnapped when she was 19 and has been held in a 11x11 foot room. She has a child, Jack, who has never been outside the Room. He doesn't know there is an outside; his reality is the small, square room. His mother has created a world for him inside the Room. The story begins slowly, establishing life within the four walls, but it quickly turns exciting and the innocence of Jack and his fascination with the Outside is refreshing. For a book based around a very depressing and heavy subject, the characters journey and Jack's enlightenment of the outside world leaves you feeling touched and entertained, not sad and depressed. This is unlike any book I have read and I think the author does a great job of illustrating how a five year old child would view the world having never before experienced it. I like the ending as well as it provides good closure which is so key to a good book!

Definitely worth a read, I highly recommend The Room.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment