Monday, April 02, 2012

The Grapes of Wrath


The Grapes of Wrath
Author: John SteinbeckSource: My dadDays to Read: 2 weeks


A classic novel that I had never read before! My dad had just finished reading this book and thought I might enjoy it so passed it on to me. The edition was from 1939 and had an old library card in the back. It also had a great old book smell!

The story follows a family of sharecroppers during the great depression who are thrown off of their land by the big bad bank. Like thousands of other families, the Joad family travels from Oklahoma to California where they have been led to believe there are jobs in the orchards. 

At first I found the language a bit difficult but eventually found my groove. There are plenty of themes in this book and I can see why it is read in many high school English classes. The novel vividly illustrates the struggle of a family to make ends meet during the depression and the strength of the family that allows them to pull through. 

I didn't LOVE the book but definitely enjoyed it.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment