Friday, April 13, 2012

The Hunger Games Trilogy


The Hunger Games Trilogy
Author: Suzanne Collins
Source: Everyone!
Days to Read: 2 weeks

I am typically very resistant to jumping on the band-wagon and reading books that are so extremely popular! However, I was persuaded to give the Hunger Games trilogy a try after I was ASSURED they were far better than the Twilight books (which I think are poorly written and super cheesy).

The first book, I admit, I loved. It was an easy read and the story line was straightforward. Right from the first few pages the reader is hooked and it continues to be a page-turner right until the end. I’m sure everyone knows what these books are about but on the off chance you do not, here is a very concise run-down of the first book.

Katniss, the main character, lives in Panem which is a dystopic society. There are 12 districts which each produce a different commodity for the Capitol. The Capitol is where the super rich and super modern people live. Years ago there were uprisings in the districts and as a result the Capitol hosts the annual hunger games where each district must send one male and one female to the games. The games are a fight to the death with only one person left standing.

The first book is all about the hunger games in which Katniss is the female representative of district 13 (I told you it would be concise!).

I won’t say much more because if you already know about the books you won’t care to read my summary and if you haven’t, you should read them for yourself!

Now keeping in mind these books are geared towards young adults, some of the “scenes” were a little cheesy. But you do get a good grasp of the characters and their personalities although instead of inferring most of their characteristics, the reader is straight up told. Again I attribute this to the fact that the novel is for younger people.

I do recommend these books as they are entertaining, fast paced and there are a lot of underlying themes that are good for young people to be exposed to. Some of these themes include poverty, the role of government, violence, standing up for what you believes in, and the list goes on.


If you don’t want to read the books, just go see the movie – it is a relatively accurate portrayal of the Hunger Games. 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment